Tuesday, 4 August 2009

AMIES

During the course of my daily work, everything is via emails - which means I am on the laptop all the time. So come weekend, I try to live off the internet and spend more time with the family. However, not connected in blog land doesn't mean that I am not surrounded by the people I have known through their blogs. I have known, learnt, being inspired with so many people in blogs and am so thankful for that. When I brought my mom's 35 years old sewing machine back (still in perfect working condition :), that was the start of this room makeover.

It started with this drawing which was done in less than 10 minutes by an artist who came from China. He capture the likeness well.


With the exception of 3 frames of the children (all current pictures in black and white), the rest of the pictures are from both husband and myself. Photos ranges from 40's to 60's, of our grandparents, parents and ourselves when we were young.


Love it when the sun shines on our many crystal balls and see this burst of rainbow on my wall.


I love this jewelery holder from China which belongs to my grandmother, unfortunately the lid is missing. She said she had it many years before she got married, so I am thinking somewhere in the 1930's.


From one of my favorite artist and blogger, Shayla. She had me in mind when she painted it, saying that the two birds represented both of us. Two different colors meaning our different country and time difference - as when one is awake, the other is asleep. As she is from Canada, one bird has the word written 'friends', the other 'amies' meaning friends in French. So meaningful!


Another wall has a collage of pictures of family...



..and post cards from my blog friends all over the world. There is always something about the written letter or card which cannot be replaced by the internet. PC, blogs or servers may crash in the future, but post cards or letters, like my old photos stay forever.


I think of one blog friend often, even though she has gone private and no longer post but that she had me in mind when she sew this.


You see, my blog friends are very kind and thoughtful, they like to send me hand painted angels, one seen here hanging on my crystal tree on my desk.


Another named Grace Tree Angel from the talented blogger, Constance. Too beautiful for words.


As my rabbit poop cleaning days are over, I am reminded of my bunnies whenever I see this everyday. Melanie must have thought I will miss them so I have these buns for company.


My scrapbooking days are over (for now..) but I have this beautiful mini album handmade by Annette to keep my vintage photos.


I kept the children's Ikea toy box to store all my stuff.


However, credit has to be given to this vintage-y sewing machine as the decoration mood was set off by wanting a sewing room in the beginning, and that spurred a whole chain of painting with other rooms as well. I have been wanting to order some wall decal and found one in our local shop here.


I tried to persuade my husband to relocate the exercise machine upstairs but he said since I wanted it in the first place, it had to stay here. Well, at least it's dust collecting days are over now. I love the Ttv pictures from Tracy and another hand made wall decor Melanie which has the words 'Peace on Earth'.


I am loving this Ikea glass table.


Well, the year of the Ox has been good to me for 2009, here is a block print from Diana.



The prettiest pink squares came all the way from Tracy of Norway which I won :D
I always felt that blogs are just informative, fun, useful, interesting etc., until we connect with the person behind the blog and then it becomes really personal and special, and that is what I like - the personal part.


From where I sit, I like this view of the dry kitchen looking out to the garden and my Canna trees in full bloom.


However, blog inspiration doesn't end in this room only. When I step out of the house, I have 2 pots of these Texas Bluebonnets, seeds sent by Contance all the way across the pond. You see fields of Bluebonnets in other countries but I am very happy to have 2 of them, though try as I might in every way, they would not bloom for months.


Something from the garden, I was wondering who or what have been making holes and patterns in my lotus leaves and found it. Can you see it?



This grasshopper has been going round the garden chomping masterpieces on all my lotus leaves. We stared at each other during the entire photography session, him holding on to the dead lotus stalk. I let him go and I am sure he is grateful to be alive.



I have been reading many people blogs posting about what inspired them. Now you know that I am inspired very much by my blog friends. As usual, there are many things more to post but still not enough time. I love you all :D