Tuesday, 28 July 2009

STREET FOOD

Street food is highly popular here, there are nowhere healthy but people just love it. Me, I try to stay away from them...quite unsuccessfully most of the time though. I think they should come with some form of warning, like those warning in the cigarette packs where they show multiple stages of disease related to smoking, as a warning or deterrent to people who buys them. I think they should have similar ones as well, something like 'eat this and it will stay in your thighs...forever' or a picture of someone's cellulite....These pictures are all from Thailand and Cambodia, we've got similar food here too but I haven't got them in my file.

On the streets of Bangkok, you will find plenty of sellers sitting on the floor or with carts. This is the cheaper version of 'mien kam' or an assortment of chopped peanuts, ginger, chillies, shallots,fresh lime etc., you put all of them in the betel leave and it them raw. Taste nice as you'll get all the different texture and taste at one go.


The ever popular Thai salads which are always spicy and very hot!! So go slow on the small chillies - they are the hottest of all. If you are not used to it, one bite and it will immobilize your tongue for a half an hour!


The Thai version of 'satay' or hotdog, I wonder what it is made of.


More spicy salad made of mango, unripe papaya, nuts, tomatoes and fish sauce, with lots of chillie padi or 'bird's eye chillies'.




Shaved ice with lots of ingredients, you pick and choose anything you fancy. Sweet and cold, a must for the hot and humid weather.


A fruit seller, Bangkok has the best pineapples and mangoes. Eaten on it's own or with well, more chillies. Almost all the food has chillies here.


This is a sugar cane grinder, one of the best drink in a hot day.


More pancakes and sweet potato cakes.


Street food at Siem Reap/Cambodia...I won't be eating it for sure, but all the locals do.


And finally, a trip to Cambodia won't be complete until the have a sip of snake or scorpion wine. Cool! but seriously, no thank you for me.


Of the many things I brought during my trip to Cambodia last year, I must say this is my favorite, an elephant statue of a mother and child in granite. Trust me, this is very heavy for it's size!


I came home yesterday to what a delight to find that my aloe vera flowered, it only blooms once a year. It's a funny looking flower, looking more like a serpent head actually.


Work have been too busy as usual. I always worked in two different offices, one is 90 km away from home and another just 1.5km from home. I used to spent most of days in the office which further away but since taking over the responsibilities of the other working partner who is sick, I am now based at the office nearer to home. Work apart, the best thing would be spending more time with the children, simple stuff like sending them to school makes them happy. Good friend, Tracy of Pink Purl did a post on her sketches and I wrote saying I did some simple sketches too on blouses I wanted to sew and yet I have no time to do it. Left the sketches on the table, went out and came back finding the blouses had grown arms, legs and head too, courtesy of this guy. He thought the drawings could not be complete without the limbs. So, there I have it - some Transformers looking sketches in a blouse :D


Hugs for now .....M