Tuesday, 9 September 2008

SIEM REAP, CAMBODIA

Of the many places that I have visited, Cambodia holds a special place in my heart. To see the beautiful Angkor Wat, to touch it and just being there breathing it made me felt that I have been transported to another world. Apart from their beautiful architechture and history, it was the people that are special too. It reminded me of how blessed I am living here. Of course we have the poor but being there and seeing their living condition, it was almost unreal. Yet, the people are friendly, always smiling, ever ready to pose for a picture. Here are the pictures of a family selling handicrafts by the roadside.



Palm fruit trees lining the entire road.


To be cooked into palm sugar, for cooking or for tea. I was sure the oven had various temperature setting, it's just I could not find it heheh..


I love photos of children :) At the same times, some of these children may never go to school, some lucky ones will, and some had to beg for the family.




An underground well and only source of water.


The kitchen.


Home to an entire family of 8.


I remembered this girl well. She pestered me all the time to buy 3 flutes for USD1.00, which I did and still have no idea what to do with them until today.

When I see barbie dolls thrown all over the house and under the bed, I remind my daughters that one of their doll can feed an entire family in Cambodia. The poorest of Cambodians earn an average of USD1.00 a day.

Finally, I would like to thank my wonderful artist friend, Shayla of Diary of Artist Shayla Perreault Newcomb. She sent me this beautiful hand painted postcard with 2 birds all the way from Canada. I hereby reproduce what she wrote "one of my ideas behind the birds is that one of us is usually sleeping while the other's awake due to the time difference. I find it impressive that distance and even time aren't barriers to friendship"...I am touched by Shayla's and everyone's friendship as well :)


Also thanks for everyone's comment on the lotus pod's SSS. Here's a picture of another pod which remain uncut today after 2 weeks. When I shake it, those little 'seeds' moved like worms wriggling inside..very funny!!! Oh yes, those lotus seeds can be eaten as part of this dessert, the locals will know it as Lin Chi Kang :D


Much love to everyone :D