Thursday, 6 March 2008

BEAUTIFUL CARVINGS @ THAILAND

When I was in Bangkok, I didnt had the chance to take any fruits or vegetable carvings which I wanted to post. Originally fruits and vegetables were carved and presented to the Royal family but now we see them everywhere in both Thailand and Malaysia. I went online and found Thai Fruit Carving by Oi Cheepchaiissara, contacted her and requested permission to publish her wonderful fruits carvings and she was so kind to allow me to. Below are her beautiful fruits and vegetables masterpiece.

Carrots

"Copyright Oi Cheepchaiissara, www.modernthaifood.com -- used with permission."

Melon

"Copyright Oi Cheepchaiissara, www.modernthaifood.com -- used with permission."

Pumpkin

"Copyright Oi Cheepchaiissara, www.modernthaifood.com -- used with permission."

Watermelon

"Copyright Oi Cheepchaiissara, www.modernthaifood.com -- used with permission."

Yam Bean..my favourite

"Copyright Oi Cheepchaiissara, www.modernthaifood.com -- used with permission."


I was really glad to receive my first award from a great blogger friend Tracy of Pink Purl, all the way from Norway. Tracy, you're a gem and I love all your handicrafts, so do visit her at Pink Purl and see her beautiful creations. She also gave me my first tag as follows and here are the instructions.

Link 1 must be about family. Link 2 must be about friends. Link 3 must be about yourself, who you are… what you’re all about. Link 4 must be about something you love. Link 5 can be anything you choose.

so, here goes .....

FAMILY

This was taken during our trip to LANGKAWI 2007
and my 3 kids are the love of my life. I thank my blessings for having them in my life and everyday I am learning new things from them. I hope they will remember me as a wonderful mom and forgive me on my shortcomings.

FRIENDS

I must admit though I had this blog earlier, I didnt blog actively until recently and could find anything on friends, except this particular post cupcakes where I bought them for a friend's Xmas party from a fellow blogger too. If I could, I'd put every blogger friend who visited me here as they are my new and wonderful friends :)

MYSELF

I like this particular picture from another recent post, a visit to the SKY BAR with the Twin Towers behind me. It's not the clearest picture as it was dark but you'll love the Sky Bar as the view was spectacular, and I'd like to think of myself of someone who likes to try new things all the time. Life's only wonderful if we set our minds to make it so.

SOMETHING I LOVE...upholding family traditions

This was a recent post during Chinese New Year and a tradtion followed by most Chinese, the tea ceremony, serving of tea to the elders and in this FESTIVALS post shows my son serving tea to his grandmother. I take it as a reminder to my children's Chinese roots and a tradition we want to do for all the coming years. A reminder on how important my mother is to me and hopefully me as a mother to my children.

ANYTHING ELSE..

This was a picture drew by my daughter, Eli, on NURIN ALERT , a missing child alert system which was modelled after the Amber Alert in USA, and also a cause which I hope to be actively involved as I am also a member for Citizens 4 Nurin Alert. No child deserves to be taken away from his/her parents, and unfortunately Malaysia is seeing a rise in child kidnapping case, with Sharline still missing since 9th January 2008, you can see her picture on my sidebar.

Well, it's our General Election week with many people voting this Saturday and also the start of school holidays. So for the locals, happy voting.

This weekend, I am going away, a short break to the most historical state of Malaysia. A place where the British, Dutch and Portugese made their imprints in Malaysia. Haven't been there so many years, so I am taking my children there to have a wonderful cultural experience. It started when Parameswara, a Srivijayam prince from Palembang fled Sumatra in 1377 and founded this state around 1400. During his reign, mass settelement from the Chinese merchant occurred due to the strategic location. The location was so important that Zheng He (China) brought Hang Li Po a Ming dynasty princess with 500 attendants to marry the Sultan Mansor Shah during his ruling 1456 - 1477. With this, we saw the emergence of the Peranakans - Chinese whom adopted the local Malays lifestyle on food, culture and clothings. The Portugese conquered and ruled from 1511, the Dutch from 1641 to 1795 and British from 1824 until our independance in 1946. The trip will be brief but I am sure my children will love MALACCA and another introduction to our diverse culture here.