Friday, 29 February 2008

JIM THOMPSON @ Bangkok

I am elated to be back to KL. My trip to Bangkok was like a marathon meeting, seeing so many business partners from all over the world in a largest conference of more than a 1000 people ever. When I finished my last meeting cum dinner on Wednesday night, I was more than relieved and happy. All my previous Bangkok holidays were always about eating, shopping, spa and massage. However, for this trip, I wanted to do something different, to understand this beautiful country, it's people and culture. I had only one day to do so many things and not possible to even cover a quarter of what I wanted to do. I wanted to see a traditional Thai house and was almost impossible to do so in the heart of Bangkok. So, while surfing in Bangkok, I chanced upon the Jim Thompson's House and Musuem and knew I just had to go. Everyone going to Bangkok must visit this place, it's so breath taking that I wanted to stay there for the whole day. For more information on Jim Thompson, please visit
here. You will never be dissapointed.

Jim Thompson was born in 1906 in Greenville, Delaware, USA. He voluntered for the US army which took him to many places and the far east during the 2nd world war. He popularised the Thai silk and now his shops are opened all over Thailand, making him an iconic figure in promoting everything Thai.

I managed to take a few snaps of the house exterior, unfortunately no cameras were allowed inside the house. The moment I stepped into the house, I was transported to my childhood. The entire house was made with teak wood. The teak floors felt was cooling and smooth, in fact the entire house was cooling as it has large windows and high ceilings all over.

Here was the journey. The entrance into the house.


Outside the Jim Thompson's restaurant.


Endless pots of my favourite flower - the Lotus, with hundreds of fishes swimming inside.


Close up view of the Lotus, how can anyone not fall in love with this sweet smelling flower.


Another view from outside of one of the houses.


It's surrounded by tropical trees and flowers everywhere...sorry about the glare.






















Like most tradtional houses in Asia, houses were previously built on stilts to safeguard against flood and even preventing wild animals from going into the house.


The garden.





















Jim Thompson had endless collection of paintings, arts and decor inside the house (pictures not allowed), but this figure was the MOST IMPORTANT item of all. It's a limestone carving of Buddha from the 7th or 8th century AD (not 17th or 18th - no typo error here).


My fav art piece of all. This was a Chinese printing block from China, used by Jim Thompson to print on some of the Thai silks during the 50's.


Lunch at Jim Thompson.


I didn't stayed at any fancy hotel but stayed at a business partner's home. It comprised of two big bungalows with a pool at the centre and in view of their privacy, I will not post pictures of their home, except this one. It was my blogging spot for the past few days in Bangkok, I really could stay here forever :)



I like to think that this was just the beginning of my journey to Thailand as there's still so many places I haven't been. A trip to Hua Hin or Krabi would be nice, or another trip to Chiang Mai to see the mountains and outskirts will be great too.